Friday, November 14, 2008

Which will it take? A slight or strong wind to truly test our Constitution?

From Vicki:

I have a couple of Bradford pear trees in my yard on my neighbor's side of my driveway. These trees shot up quickly over the past decade and are absolutely gorgeous in the spring. But my neighbors had me concerned: they remembered how fragile a Bradford pear can be, for they had one that split during a wind storm.

Tom trimmed off some branches a couple of years ago to help relieve the top-heaviness. Still I worried about a strong wind ripping through the trees so I had them topped this past summer. Within a couple of weeks we had one of those fast-moving micro bursts. A neighbor three doors down lost a very large Bradford pear that split right down the middle. I was so thankful to have taken preventative measures. I've since paid particular attention to the beautiful pears with their fall colors, especially the ones that have the beginning of a split among the leggy limbs.

Tree topping is frowned upon. I understand this. My Bradford pears looked like newly-shaven poodles. There was very little green left after the landscaper went into the center of the trees and pruned from the inside out, precisely at the place where the trees would split. These were ugly [understatement ugly!] trees for a couple of months until the leaves came back. They are still in that awkward middle school stage. I have high hopes for next spring.

Tonight I heard Glenn Beck talking about our Constitution. He indicated it was at a fragile place where it could split in two unless we the people say, "No! We won't allow that to happen!"

Sometimes repairs need to be made to strengthen or shore up the foundations. It's like opening a wound. There's nothing pretty about it, yet it has to be opened carefully so it heals the right way.

Are we at that place with our United States Constitution? My son said, "George Washington is probably looking down on us and asking, 'what have you done with my country?'" He's got a point. What have we done? Or, better yet, have we been complacent and what haven't we done?

We really do take our country for granted. Until there is a ground swell of emotional Americans who take up the cause to keep our Constitution as the foundation...

God blessed us with these United States. We need to protect and respect what we've been given. Prayers, mighty prayers, can help a crumbling foundation or a fragile tree that is trying to split apart. God can heal our nation if we'll allow Him.

God Bless America!

No comments: