Thursday, November 20, 2008

The many voices of we the people

From Vicki:

Sometimes I feel my voice is so weak and strained, the message being clear but not clear enough, not fresh enough, too trite and overworked. More than a few times in my life have I been told my writing isn't quite good enough---not an easy thing to hear. Yet I keep writing and creating. And I still will, though my spirit is deflated. Maybe I will learn...one of these days.

As I tried to come up with something pithy, original, different, and interesting for the topic, all that came to mind was a bunch of quotes by writers about writing. Here they are:

Writing comes more easily if you have something to say. ~Sholem Asch

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make. ~Truman Capote, McCall's, November 1967

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

One must be drenched in words, literally soaked in them, to have the right ones form themselves into the proper pattern at the right moment. ~Hart Crane

He that uses many words for the explaining any subject doth, like the cuttlefish, hide himself for the most part in his own ink. ~John Ray

Mine may be a weak voice tonight. It is still a voice for I am part of we the people with all of the generous First Amendment rights and freedoms and responsibilities. God willing, we the people will continue to speak with our loud, soft, weak, meek, polite, brusque voices. These United States have always been a melting pot of peoples with all manner of voices.

Say a prayer for our soldiers who have volunteered their lives for the express mission of keeping ours free and safe.

1 comment:

Old Faithful said...

As we go into 2009 we need to remember how we as a nation have gotten this far over the decades. The words One Nation under God, funny how that upsets people these days. The very words that we stand on to protect us as well as other countries in the world that try to maintain the very freedom that we all share and some take for granted here in the United States of America. I am not one with many words but it hurts to see the country in the mess like it is in today. I have served in the Armed Forces along with my son and would die protecting the rights that we have had over the years that our forefathers including our current generation have died protecting. Christians in this country are becoming a minority along with people with valued principles. I won’t go into detail, but look at what kind of rights people are fighting for and winning the battle on. There are battles and there are wars. Battles are won and lost every day but wars are different. It takes many battles to win wars and the old country as we know it has lost many battles and I am afraid we are getting closer to losing the war from within. Pray for our new leadership that is about take control of the reins of this country. No matter whether you approved of them or not they will need our prayers to help get our country on the right track. You have a great website and I’m astonished at the words you write. You are very gifted and have a good heart so keep up the good work - Old Faithful